Generic placeholder imageImmigrating

How can I apply to immigrate to Canada?

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) establishes immigration policy and makes decisions on who can enter Canada.

If you want to immigrate to Canada, you need to apply through CIC. The type of application you make, depends on which immigration category you want to apply under.

Immigration Categories
You can apply for permanent residence under the following categories:

You can apply for temporary residence under the following categories:


All applications are evaluated on specific requirements and regulations.

You may need to meet certain health and security requirements. For example, you may have to get a medical examination or show any record of arrest or conviction.

CIC may also want to interview you or see other documentation.

How to Apply

Most immigration applications are made outside Canada, but some can be made inside Canada in certain circumstances.

Visit CIC’s website for more information about how to apply and where to send your application.

Usually, you have to pay a fee for each application you make. If your application is refused, you will not get a refund. Information and other assistance at CIC offices is free.

If you are in Canada, you can call the CIC Call Centre for more information about your situation at 1-888-242-2100. You can also get assistance from a settlement agency. To find a settlement agency in your area, go to Services Near Me.

For More Information
    Come to Canada – If you want to come to Canada, this new tool can help you figure out what your options are and how to apply. This tool is useful for people who want to immigrate, study, work or visit Canada. This resource is from Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
    Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate – A list of Canadian visa offices outside of Canada.
    Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) – An independent tribunal that is responsible for hearing refugee claims and appeals.
    Canada Border Services Agency – CBSA is responsible for border services (port-of-entry services), customs and enforcement of some immigration laws in Canada.

* Information sourced from

You can also find more information from Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s official website.