Benefits for Seniors

Many seniors in Canada get income through federal programs. Most programs have a minimum age, usually between 55 – 65, when you can start receiving these benefits. You must meet specific residency or contribution requirements to be eligible for these programs, and you must apply for them. These programs include:

Canada Pension Plan (CPP)

  • The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) provides contributors and their families with partial replacement of earnings in the case of retirement, disability or death. Almost all individuals who work in Canada contribute to the CPP. Quebec has its own plan called the Quebec Pension Plan (QPP). You do not have to apply to both plans, if you worked in both provinces. The benefit accounts for all of your contributions.
    CPP and QPP include the following benefits:

  • Retirement pension – Provides a pension when you reach age 65. You can receive it as early as age 60 at a reduced rate, or as late as age 70 at an increased rate.

  • Post-retirement benefit – If you continue to work while receiving your CPP retirement pension, and are under age 70, you can continue to contribute to the CPP. Your contributions will go toward post-retirement benefits, which will increase your retirement income.

  • Disability benefit – Provides a monthly benefit to you or your children if you become severely disabled and cannot work on a regular basis.

  • Survivor’s pension – Provides a pension to your surviving spouse.

  • Death benefit – Provides a one-time payment to (or on behalf of) the estate of a deceased CPP contributor.

  • Children’s benefits – Provides monthly payments to the dependent children of disabled or deceased CPP contributors.


CUIAS holds regular information sessions about Various Government Benefits. Contact us to ask about our upcoming information seminars: 416-767-4595

Old Age Security (OAS)

  • The Old Age Security program is the Government of Canada’s largest pension program. It is funded out of the Government of Canada’s revenue, which means that you do not pay into it directly, as with CPP. The OAS is a monthly payment available to most Canadians 65 years of age who meet the Canadian legal status and residence requirements. You must apply to receive it. In addition to the Old Age Security pension, there are three types of Old Age Security benefits:

  • Guaranteed Income Supplement – If you live in Canada and you have low income, this monthly non-taxable benefit can be added to your OAS pension.

  • Allowance – If you are 60 to 64 years of age and your spouse or common-law partner is receiving the Old Age Security pension and is eligible for the Guaranteed Income Supplement, you might be eligible to receive this benefit.

  • Allowance for the Survivor – If you are 60 to 64 years of age and you are widowed, you might be eligible to receive this benefit.

Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS)
Allowance for Seniors

If you require assistance applying for pension programs or senior benefits, book an appointment with one of our counsellors: 416-767-4595.

Can I receive pension benefits from my home country?
  • If you have lived or worked in Canada and in another country, or you are the survivor of someone who has lived or worked in Canada and in another country, you may be eligible for pensions and benefits from Canada and/or from the other country because of a social security agreement. More information about International Benefits can be found here.
    You might qualify for these benefits if:
    · You lived and worked in a country that has an agreement with Canada; and
    · You paid into the social security plan of that country.
For More Information