International Students

As an international student, can I apply for permanent residence?
  • As an international student studying in Canada, you are considered a temporary resident. By law, you are required to leave Canada once you have completed your studies and/or your study permit expires. You may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit, within 90 days after graduation or as soon as you meet program requirements. This will allow you to stay in Canada and work legally. In some cases, being employed in certain occupations can increase your chances of having a successful immigration application.

  • International students may be eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada through the following programs:
    Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
    Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP)
    Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)


  • You must meet eligibility requirements to apply for these programs. Applicants are ranked through the Express Entry system. Applicants who have the highest rankings or points are invited to apply for permanent residence.