Bridging Programs and Academic Upgrading

  • If you are an internationally-trained professional who has education and work experience, Bridging Programs can help prepare you to work in your field. These programs are often useful for regulated professions in Ontario, but you can also find programs for non-regulated professions as well. These programs have been put together by employers, colleges and universities, occupational regulatory bodies, and community organizations. Here is a
    list of various bridging programs in Ontario, by industry field.

  • You can read more about regulated and non-regulated professions here.


Continuing Education
  • Colleges and Universities offer certificate courses in specialized subjects. People take these courses, if they want to advance in their career, make a career change, or specialize in their field. They are often offered part time, in the evenings or via distance education (online). Every college or university has their own department or school of continuing education. You can find information on these courses or programs on the institution’s website.

More information about education can be found on

Occupation-specific Language Training (OSLT)
  • OSLT is a language program delivered by Ontario colleges, which aims to help you develop occupation-specific language skills for the Canadian workplace. It also teaches you about Canadian social and cultural expectations in the various professional fields. Courses are offered in areas such as Business, Health Sciences, Human Services, Construction and Trades.